Introductory Essay Art Appreciation

Space Mysteries by Vance Kirkland
my favorite piece from my recent visit to the Denver Art Museum
I spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon wandering the Denver Art Museum and to be frank, I don’t get it. At least not most of it. I am extremely left-brained and most art I see leaves me scratching my head with a “huh?” I was constantly worried about what the appropriate length of time to spend in front of piece was and wanted to scurry through so I could hit each thing at least once.

I want the world to have right and wrong answers. Yes and no. Black and White. That binary world that I want simply doesn’t exist in this world and especially not in the art world. There is art that appeals to me, but it seems to be rare and usually lovely by classical standards. I do, however, have art that I appreciate. Most of the art that I love has a story that goes with it. In my room I have prints of a couple impressionist paintings as well as a few collages made by myself and some made by friends.

The use of color is the first thing I notice when looking at art. I love art with bold or bright colors with any theme. The quilt currently on my bed is handmade (by me) and is is a patchwork of beautiful Hawaiian colors of every shade in a rainbow. I sometimes long for a comforter that has more calming colors but usually this quilt brings a smile to my face every time I enter my room.

My Hawaiian Quilt. One of these days I need to make it to Hawaii as an adult.
Rumor has it that I was there when I was a baby.

I love keeping my hands occupied while engaging in mindless activities (especially TV watching). Most of the art at that I’ve made has come in the form of hobbies while watching TV. I enjoying cross-stitching or simply pulling out a box of crayons and coloring in a coloring book. I also appreciate visual ways of displaying information that I think can be considered art as well. I could spend all afternoon browsing infographics and appreciate keeping my daily to-do lists colorful and engaging.

"Art Corner" It's pretty scattered so it's hidden behind my door.

I consider art to be a way of expressing oneself and an attempt to communicate that expression with others. Art can come in virtually any form and I think the only thing that distinguishes “art” from everything else is the intention of the artist. If an artist intends for something to be art, then it is art. My only expectation of art is that it beckons me to stop and just be for a moment.

Comments

  1. "Rumor has it that I was there when I was a baby."
    Like Obama!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts