Why I ran for Alder of Ward 17 and more importantly… Why I withdrew

Hi friends, family, STL, and most importantly STL Ward 17 voters,

It’s been a heckuva month. I want to start by saying thank you to each of you who has connected with me and provided guidance or encouragement.

For a decade or more, I've dreamed of becoming a local elected official. I first decided to run for Alder of Ward 17 late last year, and excitedly entered the Aldermanic race at the start of 2021. Shortly after  submitting my application, I was surprised and delighted to learn my friend, Tina Sweet-T Pihl, was also running.

I met Sweet-T about five years ago at a holiday party for our ward, and we hit it off instantly. Since then, we’ve gardened together, biked together, shared meals together, and bumped into each other in numerous professional settings as we both work to make St. Louis better. From the moment I saw her name on the list, I knew withdrawing from the race was the best thing to do for Ward 17.

Our First Day of Campaigning Together in FPSE

The longer I’m alive, the more I recognize how privilege, opportunity and sheer luck have sculpted my life.  And now it is crystal clear that this is the time for me to support Black women.  It was a hard decision for me, but I know withdrawing was the right decision for Ward 17. My name will not appear on the ballot on March 2nd.

The more I’ve gotten to know Sweet-T over the past few weeks, the more I’ve become convinced that she’s the right choice to be my Alder, and the best Alder for all residents in Ward 17. I couldn’t be more excited to wholeheartedly endorse Tina Sweet-T Pihl for Alderwoman of Ward 17. She has the skills to succeed and will do an impeccable job representing us.  Her integrity, leadership, relational skills, and love for our ward make her the perfect person for this job.

I even get chills when I hear the way she says her guiding principles out loud:

  • Accountability
  • Community
  • Equity

Ever since I met Sweet-T, she has stood out to me.  Her drive and ability to connect to our community and the people in it is unparalleled. There’s no doubt in my mind that she will be able to do what is best for Ward 17.

I spoke with many of you in late December and early January about supporting my campaign and I was overwhelmed by the response. Please continue supporting me by supporting Sweet-T. I just made my first donation to her campaign and invite you to do the same:

Donate

Signing off the way Sweet-T signs off her emails:

In Building Community, Kaleena Menke

314.301.9868

TinaSweetTPihl.com

P.S. The run-off election is only a month away on March 2nd! If you’d like to volunteer for this amazing candidate, click this link to fill out our volunteer form.

Comments

  1. Hey out there! My brother tried for a month just to get the outline put together! He gave it to me to do for he knows I am a puzzler! But , gee I didnt know it was so hard without a blow-up of the photo on the box! As everyone knows it is impossible to make out. I have run out of printer ink trying different ways to enlarge the pic enough to actually see it clearly.
    I would love some help on this. I am not computer savvy , so please explain in layman's terms. I am going to try to take a pic of each section on my Iphone, enlarge it on my Iphone , send to email and print it out, that is when I get more ink ! UGH Sure hope this works , would love to have it done by Christmas. Thanks to anyone that can help me out !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts